It’s pretty hard to judge just what “thick” is. Thick to someone in Michigan is totally different than thick to someone in Florida.
Being that leather is sold in a variety of thicknesses, we offer the leather weight estimation on the Fox Creek Leather website. We actually describe the top-grain thickness using weight units of ounces (actually it is the ounces per square foot). How is it figured? Well, really all you have to know is this conversion: 1 oz/ft² = 1/64 inch (0.4 mm).
We give a range of thickness due to the fact that different hides have variability and will rarely measure the exact same measurements. So, without a leather caliper, measuring the precise thickness of leather is a tough job. Here is a run down of our leather’s thickness:
- Men’s Leather Jackets – 1.4-1.6mm (3.25-4.5oz) except the v1.8, it is 1.6-1.8mm (4.5-5.0oz)
- Men’s Leather Vests – 1.4-1.6mm (3.25-4.5oz)
- Leather Chaps – 1.6-1.8mm (4.5-5.0oz)
- Leather Overpants – 1.4-1.6mm (3.25-4.5oz)
- Women’s Leather Jackets – 1.2-1.4mm (2.5-3.0oz)
- Women’s Leather Vests – 1.1-1.2mm (2.0-2.5oz)
If you need a lighter leather weight or heavier leather weight than what our stock item normally is made in, please let us know. We can special order the item for you for a small additional fee to ensure you get the protection or comfort you would like.