- Customer stories, product help, & more - Fox Creek Leather
- Leather Thickness
It’s pretty hard to judge just what “thick” is. Thick to someone in Michigan is totally different than thick to someone in Florida.
Being that leather is sold in a variety of thicknesses, we offer the leather weight estimation on the Fox Creek Leather website. We actually describe the top-grain thickness using weight units of ounces (actually it is the ounces per square foot). How is it figured? Well, really all you have to know is this conversion: 1 oz/ft² = 1/64 inch (0.4 mm).
We give a range of thickness due to the fact that different hides have variability and will rarely measure the exact same measurements. So, without a leather caliper, measuring the precise thickness of leather is a tough job. Here is a run down of our leather’s thickness:
- Men’s Leather Jackets – 1.4-1.6mm (3.25-4.5oz) except the v1.8, it is 1.6-1.8mm (4.5-5.0oz)
- Men’s Leather Vests – 1.4-1.6mm (3.25-4.5oz)
- Leather Chaps – 1.6-1.8mm (4.5-5.0oz)
- Leather Overpants – 1.4-1.6mm (3.25-4.5oz)
- Women’s Leather Jackets – 1.2-1.4mm (2.5-3.0oz)
- Women’s Leather Vests – 1.1-1.2mm (2.0-2.5oz)
If you need a lighter leather weight or heavier leather weight than what our stock item normally is made in, please let us know. We can special order the item for you for a small additional fee to ensure you get the protection or comfort you would like.